Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Big hits require big bosses

The main goal of my profession is to generate media coverage for clients. Mainly we seek out reporters, but reporters also have a few online resources at their disposal to find stories for themselves. Here’s a particularly interesting query from a reporter (bolded parts have been changed to protect the identities)


The CEO lifestyle of being on the road, eating in restaurants, and having little time for exercise, can't be good for weight control. I've already done interviews with two Fortune 500 CEOs about how they fight gaining weight. I'd like to round out the story with a couple of more. I'm the important reporter at really freaking huge national newspaper and I'm looking for CEOs who are or have been overweight and willing to talk about their battles against it.


This could actually be quite a cool hit for a client depending on how good-natured they are. Ever since Enron, CEOs have been fighting an image battle like no other. A human interest story like this would generate tons of goodwill. However, what if your client is not so good-natured?


Me: Hey CEO of huge corporation.

CEO: Hey unimportant peon for PR firm.

Me: I can totally get you a hit in really freaking huge national newspaper.

CEO: Oh, really. What’s the topic?

Me: Well, it’s on how fat you are.

CEO: Excuse me?

Me: It’s about how corpulent you are.

CEO: You have some round objects! You’re fired!


Fortunately, I won’t be having this conversation, as I can’t think of any of our execs from our clients that are fat. However, it does make you wonder what the media value for a pound of flesh is. (+1 to those of you who get that.)

No comments: