Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Dr. StrangeDrum: Or How I Learned to Start Worrying and Hate the Beat

Well, you see there’s a band.

“Really…”

They need a new drummer, and I want to join.

“So that’s why you’ve been practicing at all hours of the day and night.”

Yeah.

“Do you think you could like not do it late at night while I’m trying to sleep?”

Oh, you can hear it from upstairs? I didn’t think anyone could hear it.

It was at this moment that the blood vessels began popping in my head. I steadied myself and took a deep breath.

“Just not after 10 pm…please.”

Oh sure, no problem.

José wants to be in a band. It’s a band made up of co-workers at the hospital José works at. He needs to get good enough to have a shot at making the band. The fact that all this sounds like the basis for some teen comedy from the 80’s (or a really bad episode of Grey’s Anatomy) is the only pleasure I get out of the whole situation. Well, that and the fact that when I think about 80’s comedies I remember that scene from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, with Phoebe Cates coming out of the swimming pool. Mmm, Phoebe Cates…um, sorry back to the post.

True to his word, José stops drumming at 10 pm sharp every night. Yep, he puts the breaks on the old percussion action at 10 pm sharp, not a minute later, or a minute sooner. José drums from sunup till sundown.

Did I mention that José is just learning how to drum? Learning how to drum means pounding the same note for hours on end. I start twitching after 30 minutes.

Who knows, maybe José and his drumming will take off and he’ll become famous? When VH1 comes to interview me I’ll proudly stand there and say, “Hey, I used to room with that guy…and boy did he annoy the living fuck out of me.”

3 comments:

CATHERINETTE SINGLETON said...

It could be worse, he could have taken up the accordian.

ジェネヴィーヴ said...

Wow your neighbor sucks. At least he's not paying really bad music really loud.
Actually, I'm not sure which is worse.

matthew said...

hey man,
i like your blog. you should make it subscribable, it would be easier for people to follow. check it out: the dc blog project.