Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Note to the mafia, my grandmother is expecting your call

My plans to record my family history starting with my grandmother, as detailed in this post, are finally starting to take shape. I had to call my grandmother up on Monday evening to get some details squared away. Calling is always an interesting experience when you are dealing with someone who doesn’t have the best hearing. I still remember the last time I called her.

Me: MAWMA, IT’S MATTHEW.

Grandmother: Who? The mafia!?

Me: NO, MATTHEW!! YOUR GRANDSON!

Grandmother: Ohh, hey Matthew. I didn’t think the mafia would be calling me.

Luckily this time, when I shouted my name she understood. The conversation went well, and we worked out a date in the summer for me to head to NC and talk with her.

She ended the conversation by saying how good it was to speak with me and my new northern accent. Ouch, that hurts. I guess only family can cut you to the bone like that.

3 comments:

mm said...

The mafia is on a first name basis with my grandmother. I think they started some sort of senior citizens program. You know...watersports, bridge, Murder She Wrote marathons....

It's their way of giving back to the community.

Across The River said...

mm: You know there is an obvious joke I could make about your comment, but I'm soooo not going there.

Pele said...

Matt: Is the comment regarding watersports?