Friday, June 8, 2007

I will miss DC

I just put in my two weeks notice a few hours ago. I'm taking a job in VA, that will essentially be a career change for me.

This has been going on for a little while now, but not something that I wanted to air in a public forum such as a blog, until now. It's been part of what's kept me from writing as much as I would like, and it certainly hasn't taken away from my stress.

I'm uncertain how to feel right now, more drained and sad than anything. I should be able to stay where I am, just across the river from DC, but I'll find out in 2 weeks whether the demands of the commute neccesitate that I move closer to my job.

I'm going to miss taking the metro everyday. I'm going to miss being able to take a walk by the White House on my lunch break. I'm going to miss the people I work with, and I'm going to miss all the little nuances of DC. Oh sure, I'll be in the city on a regular basis to see friends, hit up bars & restaurants, and see the sights, but it won't be the same.

I'm excited about the opportunities that await with this position, but at the same time, change is never easy for me. Sometimes though, it's necessary.

10 comments:

Trisha said...

I completely understand the sentiment. While I didn't live in DC but commuted from Manassas, it was still hard to leave a job I didn't even really like for one that would be better because it meant I wouldn't be seeing the Capital through the trees when walking from Union Station to work. As a transplanted Michigander DC still inspires much awe in me, and I miss seeing it daily.

The Wanderer said...

Change happens. Congratulations and good luck with it.

mm said...

Congrats on the new job. Working in VA isn't that bad. I've been doing it for awhile. I can't believe you said you're going to miss the metro...haha.

ジェネヴィーヴ said...

bwahaha welcome to suburbia! i hope you don't have to move here. then you'll be super bored all the time.

but, congrats and i hope you enjoy your new job. i hope everything works out in your favour. :)

Texpundit said...

I don't know whether to congratulate you or mourn. ;)

BTW, if you're stressin', come out to the BHH on Friday. I've got a shot or twelve with your name on them.

Across The River said...

trisha: Yeah, there's just something distinctive to DC.

the wanderer: Is that the cousin of "shit happens"? ;)

mm: Haha, yeah that does seem strange doesn't it? Believe me though, a 10 minute metro ride is 10 times better than any time spent in N.VA rush hour traffic.

gen: Is Arlington considered suburbia? Because if it is, I'm already there.

tex: Congratulate me, the bittersweet will pass. Unfortunately no dice on the happy hour, if I wasn't going out of town I'd definitely be there.

The View from Dupont said...

You will be missed Monkey, but we'll still visit Mackey's every so often!!

Brunch Bird said...

You know, it's funny. Last week I was walking near 21st and K to get my hair cut and passed by you on K and thought, "Hey, it's the Across the River dude." But I didn't stop you to say hi because you seemed to be in a hurry and sort of distracted. Now I know that you were probably working all this out.
Good luck!

Across The River said...

view from dupont: Most definitely.

brunch bird: Even if you could only remember my blog name, you still should have shouted something loudly at me. I'm telling you, you've forever missed your chance to say "I scarred the shit out of another blogger on the streets of DC."

Patricia said...

I know I'm a little late, but congratulations! Let me know whenever you do make it into the city.