Tuesday, July 3, 2007

I’ll have a beer, and “The Final Countdown”

I’m a fan of cheese, and not the eatable, meltable, spreadable variety. I view B-movies with relish and listen to corny music with enthusiasm.

So a week ago when I was at my favorite bar in DC, I began grinning when Europe’s “The Final Countdown” came on the jukebox. As the chorus kicked in, our server jumped in front of the table and exclaimed “I’ve got some important news…It’s the final countdown!” We all had a hearty laugh and thought no more about it.

Until this weekend. We’re back at the bar. It’s the same server and he was getting our drinks. When he got to me I fixed him a serious look.

“Yes, I’ll have a beer…and The Final Countdown.”

The server apologized profusely. He had already played “The Final Countdown” an hour earlier, and would take flak from his co-workers if he were to play it again. I assured him it wasn’t a problem.

Two hours later, and a few beers later, the server came over and slipped a dollar in my hand. “Go over to the jukebox and play it, if my co-workers see me doing it, they’ll give me crap.”

Haha, so there would be “The Final Countdown” in all of its cheesy, 80’s goodness. I walked stumbled over to the jukebox. I inserted the dollar and selected the song. The jukebox then asked for another dollar. Son-of-bitch, it had eaten my dollar! I inserted another dollar and got the same message. It was then that it dawned on me, the jukebox was asking for another dollar to play another song. I had just cued "The Final Countdown." Twice. In-a-row.

A few minutes later the song began, and the server came over. “It’s ‘The Final Countdown’” he said.

“Well, here’s the thing,” I said. “I accidentally picked to play The Final Countdown. Twice. In- a-row.”

Many thoughts must have gone through our server’s mind at that point. Obviously he was a habitual “The Final Countdown” abuser, or else he wouldn’t be slipping dollars to patrons to play it. His co-workers had also obviously given him hell numerous times in the past for his propensity to play cheesy 80’s music.

“OH SHIT!” he exclaimed, and ran off.

6 comments:

Pink Is Neat said...

um, marry me?

Trisha said...

Whooah, were half way there
Livin on a prayer
Take my hand and well make it - I swear
Livin on a prayer

Daniel Mayfield said...

You know that song is going to become your official theme song now. We'll make you run around the bar like Rocky with that playing every time you show up.

The View from Dupont said...

Marriage proposals? Wow Monkey - you're on a roll!

Loving the cheesy 80's music - we must do Mackey's or something sometime soon, right?

Across The River said...

pink is neat: Only if the Final Countdown can be played at our wedding.

trisha: Yup, you've found my musical kryptonite, belting bad Bon Jovi in bars.

dan: I think you're on to something. I'll take any chance I can get to run around like Rocky.

view from dupont: Pink is neat has a love of The Final Countdown that rivals my own.

Victor Echo said...

Rookies...

The Final Countdown is a GREAT movie...lots of F-14s

Living on a Prayer is bush league. Queue David Bowie's Modern Love please...