Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sunday along the Potomac

I pushed some shoeboxes aside, pulled out the white scale, and looked at it with unease. I’ve slacked off recently with exercising, and the last few months I haven’t been eating healthy either. I nervously stepped on, and the numbers started counting up…past what I had been last time I weighed myself. They kept going, hitting 200, then 300, as my eyes widened in disbelief, and I began to panic.

I woke up. I would be lying if I said it was in a cold sweat, but nonetheless I was disturbed. Rarely do I have nightmares that clear, and recently I have been having dreams/nightmares that relate to specific parts of my life. I took it as a sign to get off my ass.

On Sunday I headed out for a walk along the Virginia side of the Potomac, starting at Lady Bird Johnson Memorial Park with my main goal being Theodore Roosevelt Island. With a camera and some tunes, I put in about 2 ½ hours of moderate exercise, walking and exploring. Am I ready to compete in fitness competitions? No. Am I still a lazy, fat ass? Yes. But it’s a start…and I got some photos out of it.

Get off your ass and explore my island!



3 comments:

mm said...

It is hard to get off your ass. I've been beating myself up lately. Thanks for the pics that prove DC isn't as ugly as I say it is sometimes.

Craig said...

Nice pics there bud. Why don't you send them to me so I can add them to my virtual tour of DC slideshow I present to my students. They would be a great addition.

Patricia said...

Nice pictures! I haven't been down there in ages and I've been meaning to. Someday soon.