Monday, November 26, 2007

Blogoversary

A friend and coworker had just convinced the boss to allow her to start up a company blog. Curiously I decided to contribute to this “new” medium and wrote a lighthearted industry piece late one Sunday night. With trepidation I handed it out at our Monday morning staff meeting. The response was enthusiastic from almost everyone. Due to some internal politics, that piece would never be posted, but I was encouraged and encouraged more by my friend, who kindly offered me a guest spot on her blog. My first post, a piece on Al Gore that referenced global warming, Terminator 2, and the fact that there were “No term limits for mediocrity,” amazingly got picked up by the Washington Post Express website and made me start thinking about doing this on a regular basis.

My first post on my own blog was just shy of one year ago. In that time period I’ve met new friends, and showed old friends a side of me that they had not seen before. Most importantly I’ve just enjoyed writing. Here are some of my personal favorites:

Discovered that I was not in fact Scottish: What’s in a heritage?
Almost died while exercising: Dying trying
A day of moving wrecked by an oversight: Case study: Bursting of an Ego
Proposed a nacho litmus test for friendship: Get Fit or Die Trying, Post-Holiday Edition
Got hit on by the local DNC: Political Ambiguity
Gave some useful advice for Valentines day: Happy Singles Awareness Day!
Proposed betting on the likelihood of friends’ breakups: It must be something in the water
Fumed about my drumming roommate: Dr. StrangeDrum: Or How I Learned to Start Worrying and Hate the Beat
Because a Saturday night just isn’t the same without beer, guns, and Asian hookers: Weekend Recap Part 2: Saturday Night, Beer, Guns, and Asian Hookers
Do you know how many people are still stumbling across my site because of this post?: Dennis Kucinich is an American Hero (and a player!)
Almost died while eating: Salmon in a Pouch
Was preached to by an ax murderer: Moral teachings from an Axe Murderer, Part 1
Changed jobs and left DC…for N.VA: I will miss DC
Proposed a ranking system for nerds: Are you a nerd?
Received my first marriage proposal from a fellow blogger: I’ll have a beer, and “The Final Countdown”
The roommate stops drumming just long enough to parade around the house in his tight underwear: Why Matt will be taking advantage of his insurance in the future

2 comments:

mm said...

happy blogoversary!!

Genevieve said...

happy (belate) blogoversary! :D
and super duper congrats on getting posted! that's sooo exciting! :D